Friday, December 30, 2011

452) Weekend (2011)

452) Weekend (2011) Dir: Andrew Haigh Date Released: September 23, 2011 Date Seen: October 24, 2011 Rating: 3.75/5

I rather liked this wispy long weekend romance, even though I think some of the central drama about sexual identity is canned. There's a very warm air of intimacy about Haigh's characters that I'm having a hard time attributing to any singular creative decision. But more than anything else, I can't help but recall the experience of watching this film. I felt like the only straight guy in a small theater full of gay men (theater 2 at the IFC Center...or was it theater 3?). In fact, I felt apologetic, like I was intruding on something. I also vividly recall the subway ride back to my place, arguing at great length with my good friend Zengkun Feng about this film, about the dialogue and melodrama in Margin Call and the ultimate worth of the Human Centipede movies as art. Now, my enthusiasm for Weekend comes back to me as a warm but vague memory I can't extricate from that quiet, intimate (not in that way!) night. Fine by me. I guess 2011 wasn't so bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment