Saturday, June 6, 2009

167) Rough Cut (2008)


167) Rough Cut (2008) Dir: Hun Jang Not Yet Released Date Seen: June 6th, 2009 Rating: 2.25/5

I think I like my buddy films to be a more funny or just more loose than Rough Cut is. Very uptight and not particularly memorable, mostly because both male protags humorlessly make each other better at what they do--acting and gangstering respectively--more through their distant growling at each other rather than through their gritted teeth and clenched fists. I was almost able to go along with writer/director Hun Jang's debut feature but only when it had both feet firmly planted in the slick world of acting and filmmaking egos. I lose interest after The Odd Couple's first "real" fight scene, when the plot's alternating between the mob world and the movie world becomes a necessity to the film's mirthless bit of fantasy fluff.


No comments:

Post a Comment