Sunday, June 14, 2009

180) Up (2009)


180) Up (2009) Dir: Peter Docter and Bob Peterson Date Released: May 2009 Date Seen: June 14th, 2009 Rating: 3.75/5

Here's the thing with me and Pixar movies: I like them but I can't help but feel old when I watch them. These films treat don't really treat me like an adult but also not quite like a kid, but rather something in-between. I have no trouble getting into the kiddy aspects of Up, the chase scenes, the talking animals, most of the jokes with Russell (Jordan Nagai). It's the melodrama of the film that bugs me. Watching Ed Asner's lonely old widow get over the loss of his beloved wife by letting go of the home they built together and having new adventures is sweet but sappy sweet. Pixar movies don't really sweep me off my feet but they are fun and always capably manipulative--which is my curmudgeonly way of saying, "I understand why people like it but I can't help but feel out of place when it comes to sentimentality that tries to sell an adult message about grief in a bite-size, kid-friendly way." Now The Amazing Screw-On Head: there's a cartoon I can get behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment