Sunday, October 18, 2009

RV!: Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)


RV!: Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) Dir: Terry Jones Date Released: August 1979 Date Seen: October 18, 2009 Rating: 3.5/5

Comedy remains one the few genres that remains immune to the gradual maturation of my taste. Good. Rewatching Monty Python's Life of Brian, I couldn't help but remember how bored I was watching the thing as a kid. The zany flights of fancy in the first half are toned down in the second and then are mostly used to really browbeat the viewer with its point: religion is absurd and people are morons. You could get that from any number of their superior singular sketches so why I really needed to have that hammered home was and is beyond me. I still love the sets, the costumes and the inescapable feeling that what I'm watching is very silly and more than a little smutty ("Sex, sex, sex! All you can talk about is sex!"). So while singing on the cross is a hoot, I still prefer The Holy Grail.

No comments:

Post a Comment