Wednesday, July 14, 2010

126) How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

126) How to Train Your Dragon (2010) Dir: Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders Date Released: March 2010 Date Seen: April 4, 2010 Rating: 4/5

Specific details of How to Train Your Dragon's plot have left me many moons ago because, let's face it, the film's ideas are hardly original. But I distinctly remember being thoroughly disarmed by the film all the same. Its jokes don't always hit home but its genuinely affecting, almost totally immersive and the filmmakers use of 3D is top-notch. If I had to guess, I'd say I connected with Dragon because it was a standard story done very well, the kind of thing that doesn't get enough praise because many dismiss it as very good generic junk. Which is misleading because a film is only really generic if it doesn't do anything with its stock plot. This film does and it makes for a very convincing bildungs roman. With dragons. And vikings.

No comments:

Post a Comment