Sunday, June 24, 2012

185) Artists and Models (1955)

185) Artists and Models (1955) Dir: Frank Tashlin Date Released: November 7, 1955 Date Seen: June 10, 2012 Rating: 4.5/5

Baby's first Tashlin (own a VHS tape of Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter, but have yet to buy my own VHS player). So my thoughts on this are going to be hopelessly dull. I see why people who love Tashlin, as I now think I should, are A-OK with him exhaustively stacking vignette upon vignette, and set piece upon set piece. Every other scene is a show-stopper, and I don't mean that as just a description of authorial intent. Beautiful, vibrant, surreal mise en scene, a very winning Jerry Lewis performance, and holy macaroni, young Shirley MacLaine, please jump on my staircase and sing at me, please, oh mama...

No comments:

Post a Comment