Saturday, July 28, 2012

Batmania

RV!: Batman (1989) Dir: Tim Burton Date Released: June 23, 1989 Date Seen: July 12, 2012 Rating: 4/5

RV!: Batman Returns (1992) Dir: Tim Burton Date Released: June 19, 1992 Date Seen: July 15, 2012 Rating: 4.25/5

227) The Dark Knight Rises (2012) Dir: Christopher Nolan Date Released: July 20, 2012 Date Seen: July 17, 2012 Rating: 3/5

Do the Bat-tusi with me, please. 

I didn't write much about the 1989 Batman but generally speaking: I think it's messiness was more apparent to me this time around than it was when I last rewatched it. But I still have a very strong personal attachment to both of Burton's Bat-films. Burton gets so much right in his hyper-personal first foray with the character and his world that I can't really say that the film's apparent flaws seriously bugged me. I think he gets more confident with Batman Returns, a film that is probably my favorite of the live-action Batman movies to date. I've said it before but: I wish Burton had had a chance to direct a third Batman film. I'm irrationally convinced that it would have been even stronger than Returns.

In any case, two big pieces about Batman, one a semi-comprehensive look at the character and his best incarnations over several decades and various media; and one a lengthy, spoiler-intensive review of Christopher Nolan's concluding film in his Bat-trilogy. Both pieces can be found at Press Play here and here.


No comments:

Post a Comment