Monday, November 14, 2011

310) The President's Analyst (1967)

310) The President's Analyst (1967) Dir: Theodore J. Flicker Date Released: December 21, 1967 Date Seen: August 6, 2011 Rating: 4/5

As much as I love James Coburn's performance in The President's Analyst, I think that the film, generally speaking, is almost entirely carried by its ideas. And the problem with a very funny and wildly imaginative thriller-comedy like this is that its great in theory but often more important for the films it paves the way for. I was especially taken aback at how weirdly disconnected the TPC phone plot from later in the film seems to be from the absurd paranoia of the first half of the film. 

Nevertheless, that messy vibe, that mind in the clouds, in the gutter and everywhere but where it should be kind of style--that's deliberate. To a point, at least. Still, that can be pretty frustrating. This film is strange and I'm not sure that I mean that in a positive way just yet. But I think so. Need to rewatch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment