Wednesday, November 9, 2011

RV!: Topsy-Turvy (1999)

RV!: Topsy-Turvy (1999) Dir: Mike Leigh Date Released: Date Seen: July 15, 2011 Rating: 4/5

After I rewatched this, I remember having a very strong opinion about it, something about the way certain subplots alternatively undercut and buttressed the styles of performance in the film. I even expressed these opinions as eloquently as I could to one Joseph Jon Lanthier (A witness!). But as of now, I got nothing beyond, "A superior biopic but not really extraordinary as a 'Leigh film.' Plot is comprised of a lot of inter-connected tangents, as usual, but less expressively unkempt than usual for the master improvisator. Hrmph." 

Yup, "Hrmph." 

Though both me and parents, being big Gilbert & Sullivan fans, were totally enthralled while we were rewatching, which was a surprised considering how long this one is. Not a peep during the film's mammoth runtime, no mention of how it was getting late, etc. Still: hrmph.

No comments:

Post a Comment