Friday, July 3, 2009

207) Whatever Works (2009)


207) Whatever Works (2009) Dir: Woody Allen Date Released: June 2009 Date Seen: July 3rd, 2009 Rating: 2.25/5

Mediocre Woody Allen movies like Whatever Works bring out the Woody in me. Having seen 24 of Woody's films now, I am in the privileged position of knowing enough about his limitations and his strengths. Though I understand the former is negligible when compared to the latter, I cannot help but feel that I am entitled to prize my favorite Woody over these lesser entries in his massive oeuvre. I also know that this is not a valid excuse on its own to dump on this individual film. 

But why complain about what does make it bad? It's a useless endeavor to mention how stale and unkempt the film's dialogue was, how contrived the plot was or how limited Larry David's range is--as big as his arms can spread, but no further--because it's been done. Even apeing the man's voice is boring me. I liked the cast: David at times, Patty Clarkson, Ed Begley Jr., the handful of lines Conleth Hill had. But I really can't bring myself to say much more than that so I'll shrug my shoulders, sigh a bit and wink at you. How's that?

No comments:

Post a Comment