Sunday, January 17, 2010

14) The Sentinel (1977) and 15) End of Days (1999)


14) The Sentinel (1977) Dir: Michael Winner Date Released: January 1977 Date Seen: January 14, 2010 Rating: 3.75/5

15) End of Days (1999) Dir: Peter Hyams Date Released: November 1999 Date Seen: January 15, 2010 Rating: 4/5

I enjoy both of these films for the questionable ideas that they hurl pellmell at the screen but I love the latter film especially. Some Hyams's fans say End of Days is a big lowlight of his later career but I think it's my favorite of his films. End of Days is completely deranged, totally off-its-meds and a lot of funny, full of smart-ass ideas that may or may not be intentional. And good God, I love older Arnie. He curses, he yells a lot more and he looks more pissed off than ever. What's not to love? See my mention of both films in my upcoming feature for The Onion NY AV Club called "When the Rapture Comes to Town" about five films where Judgment Day comes to NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment