Monday, December 12, 2011

390) Unfaithfully Yours (1948)

390) Unfaithfully Yours (1948) Dir: Preston Sturges Date Released: December 10, 1948 Date Seen: September 29, 2011 Rating: 4.25/5

I'm mostly awed by how side-splittingly mean this film is. It's also technically accomplished in ways that I think are invigoratingly eccentric. Like, the motif of invading Rex Harrison's mind via tracking shots that go past his eyeball and straight to his id. Or that elaborate phonograph gag that requires the audience to see a pattern and recognize its total reversal. I wasn't just in stitches when I saw this latter bit, I was laughing so hard I was actually doubled-over crying. I was doubled-over coughing and crying and laughing. And then I composed myself and unpaused the film. Only to rewatch it. How did Sturges do it? Or maybe just: how did he get away with it?! Incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment