Tuesday, April 30, 2013

More Holiday-Appropriate Fun

335) The Mutations (1974) Dir: Jack Cardiff Date Released: September 25, 1974 Date Seen: October 28, 2012 Rating: 3.5/5

336) Night of the Comet (1984) Dir: Sharon Farrell Date Released: November 16, 1984 Date Seen: October 28, 2012 Rating: 3.25/5

Don't have much to say about either of these two Halloween-appropriate picks. The Mutations is a goofy, fun monster movie, though its more novel ideas are mostly under-developed, and its pace is kinda all over the place. Still, Mutations is worth seeing if only for Donald Pleasence's characteristically excellent performance. Night of the Comet didn't do as much for me, possibly because I was distracted and/or drinking, and it's a dialogue-centric film. Some lovely visuals, though, and I do like that a film like this exists. Meaning: girls are allowed to be girls: they can split hairs, fight over boys, go shopping, be tough, and oh yeah, end of the world stuff, too. In other words, just because it's a movie for teen girls, doesn't mean it's a de facto frivolous film. While I found the film too light for my taste, I did appreciate that the film's melodrama was heavier than I feared it might be. I think I may need to rewatch Comet.


No comments:

Post a Comment