Sunday, March 20, 2011

264) Perceval le Gallois (1978)

264) Perceval le Gallois (1978) Dir: Eric Rohmer Date Released: October 1978 Date Seen: August 25, 2010 Rating: 4.25/5

Wow. I had hoped for the best, knowing that Rohmer-heads like Keith Uhlich were big on Perceval, but seriously, wow. The level of thought and depth of feeling in this deceptively spare staging of the midieval legend is uncanny. I remember being especially mesmerized once the film's second half kicked in but generally, I felt elated and blown away after having seen the film. I really, really wish Perceval wasn't OOP here in the US. I'm sure it's the kind of film that only increases in one's estimation the more one pores over it. The film felt especially special to me because it's the first film directed by Rohmer that really and truly blew me away (had only seen Claire's Knee and Chloe in the Afternoon before this). Suggestions welcome; really regret having missed the Rohmer retro at FSLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment